Saturday, August 18, 2018

The Journey Begins

As I type this, on the plane ride from LAX to Guangzhou, this is the start of the next chapter.  Over the past couple of weeks, I've been giving a variety of suggestions and different advices.  Some of the advices were positive and optimistic while the others, not so much. 

China is a country with a rapidly growing economy which means a lot of opportunities, but those opportunities aren't meant for everyone.  If you have the right skills, find the right opportunities, and know the right people because as much as it depends on an individual's ability, their connection is almost more crucial.  It may be possible that I have the right skills, and I might have some connections, but it'll depend on whether or not I can align all three together and deal with the drastic cultural differences. 

This is where the dark side of a rapidly growing economy and country peers it's ugly head.  As the country grows, although at a more reasonable pace now, China has bred a new money driven demographic.  These are not only the consumers we see around the world, but those who would do just about anything to get the edge to make a few bucks.  This is part of the reason why a lot of western companies who go to China, with aspirations of wealth, leave with their tails tucked between their legs.  The cultural differences, market variables, and the lack of business ethics (not everywhere but still prominent) makes it difficult for someone from a more structured and law driven society, like the US, to succeed.  Not saying that it's impossible, but the path would be significantly more difficult.  Based on some of the warning tales and horror stories I've heard, it's a wonder why I'm on this flight.

To add another wrinkle to this challenge, something you'd assume would be an advantage, me being Chinese American can make things tougher for me. Conversationally, I speak Mandarin fairly fluently; however, my reading and writing skills are at a first grade level, if even. But the biggest thing is, I am of Chinese decent so I look 100% Chinese.  My physical appearance will give people the perception and expectations that I should understand and know the local language (Cantonese) as well as the understanding of the local cultural norms.  The problem is, I don't know their "norms" because I grew up in America.  I may speak English like an American, but I look Chinese and speak Mandarin, so they have a lower perception of my English skills, even compared to Caucasians from European country, who's primary language isn't English. 

That's a lot to ponder on a long trans-Pacific flight, but these are all realistic issues and situations I will have to face.  Some of my expectations may be accurate while others may be drastically different, but only through personal experience will I be able to make my own judgement. 

A few more hours to go before arriving at Baiyun Airport in Guangzhou, the place I'll call "home" for the time being.  Some friends have said I won't last more than 6 months, but I think I realistically need to give it at least a year. 

Just landed.  Let the fun, excited, chaos, and humidity begin.

No comments:

Post a Comment