Sunday, August 19, 2018

China Move (CM) Day 1

We've been in Guangzhou (gotta be specific because China is kind of big) a little over a day now and it's everything I've expected so far. 

It's been hot and very humid, even when the thunderstorm rolled through in the afternoon.  I can just sit on the sofa and feel the sweat building up, like water behind a dam, just waiting for that moment when I move a single muscle.  We're living in a three story house which means a lot of going up and going down the stairs. I achieved 10,000 steps all before noon! 

In the afternoon, we took a trip to Ikea to look for furniture.  That was an experience all in itself.  The appearance, the layout, and the furnitures are all the same as in the US, but the biggest difference is the people, everyone is Chinese.  No surprise, but it just felt odd walking through Ikea looking at furniture and listening to everyone discuss their furniture and design needs in Mandarin or Cantonese.  The food in the restaurant and food court are different as well, but it's just a totally different experience.  There are a lot more people, a lot more disregard for others, and a lot more kids running around.  In fairness, the people shopping in Ikea were a lot more civilized than I expected, based on my past experiences in crowded Chinese stores. 

Jet lag hit us hard last night, and we all crashed around 9pm.  Hopefully, in a few days, we'd adjust to the time zone and get fully settled in.  The kids will start school soon, and that's when I will need to start concentrating on my next venture.  It's only been a day.

No comments:

Post a Comment