Growing up in Southern California and only traveling to Asia for short stints, I have never experienced as much rain as a have over the past 3 days. The amount of water falling from the sky, and the intensity of the thunderstorms are magnificently scary but mesmerizing at the same time. I've always wanted to experience a typhoon first hand, but after just two thunderstorms, I think I'm alright.
The more time I spend around locals the more I begin to realize, they want me to be American, especially for perception and financial reasons. I came here trying to find ways to be more in touch with my heritage and learning the language and culture, but I find that I am speaking more English now that I did in the US. Initially, I was worried because the people I spoke to told me that I really needed to change my ways and mindset in order to fit into the Chinese society, but now I feel that the locals want me to embrace my American mentality because that's what people here want to learn.
Three days in, I'm more confused now than before I came. This may take a while.
No comments:
Post a Comment